Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday: Homemade Pizza (Whole Foods Style)



Almost any meal that your family enjoys, if not already, can be turned into a whole foods meal with a little bit of tweeking. Ever since our first month of marriage we have held a special place in our tummies for homemade pizza. My dad gave us a pizza kit four our wedding, the hubby put it together ready for me when I came home from work, and bam....tradition stuck.

We have come along way since that first pizza. And, not just in the taste of the pizza.

Pizza can fairly simply be turned ":whole" by using good ingredients and doing much of the preparation yourself.

I am going to share with you our most recent crust recipe. It is modified from one of my very favorite cookbooks: King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking.

The CRUST:

This crust is nice because if you have a sourdough started you can use it in this recipe. If you do not have a sourdough started you can pre-ferment your dough the day before.
To pre-ferment put one cup of whole grain flour, a tsp yeast, and 1/2 cup of cold water into a bowl and let sit overnight. If using your sourdough starter simply use of cup of this~ easy breezy!

Now, that the pre-ferment is finished we can move on.
Add one cup of sourdough to a mixer. Gently beat in:
1 1/4 cups of cold water
1 cup of cornmeal
1 cup of barley flour
1 cup whole wheat or kamut flour
2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp yeast

At this point I needed to add just a bit more water to create a rather wet dough. You may have to as well. After mixing gently to blend let this sit, covered, for about 30 minutes.
Flour a surface, use a bit of olive oil too, and fold the dough which will build its strength. Fold it and then let is sit again for another thirty minutes. Fold again. And let sit for an hour.
Roll out for your pizza.
Let it rest for a moment and then bake it in the oven for 5-7 minutes BEFORE adding your toppings.

Yum!


*Normally I soak my grains. This recipe (apart from the sourdough) is not soaked. I am going to play around with that and will let you know when I get a good usable recipe!


Use a homemade sauce or a well made jar of sauce. Raw cheese is a divine topping. I like veggies on mine and my husband...well...he goes with bacon every time. The following pictures are action shots of my husband making the pizza. He is the pizza man around here and it is so good every time!

The first dough, brushed with EVOO and garlic. 


The second dough made into stuffed crust! 


Yum. 

No comments: