Thursday, March 10, 2011

Leftover Oatmeal Blackberry Bread



Yesterday we had oatmeal for breakfast. I had several cups leftover so I stuck them into the fridge to save. This morning I ate a bowl of leftover oatmeal which tasted just as good as yesterday when heated on the stove with a little bit of milk and butter. Still, I had two cups of oats leftover. 

Thus, the invention of Leftover Oatmeal Blackberry Bread! I did a little internet research and found a great blog with an leftover oatmeal muffin recipe.  I tweeked this recipe a bit to match what we had in our pantry and to use my sourdough starter. You could follow the recipe below without using sourdough, but if you do have a sourdough monster at home this worked nicely as a way to discard today's starter without wasting it.

2 Cups of Leftover Oatmeal 
3/4 cup milk or buttermilk 
1 Egg
2 TBS melted butter or coconut oil 
2 TBS warmed honey or maple syrup 
1/2 cup sourdough starter 
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt 
1 cup blackberries (frozen from summer!) 


Mix all the above together and bake in a shallow dish or make muffins too!

I did not soak this sough. I believe, however, that it could be soaked easily by letting the flour and sourdough soak together for 7-24 hours before adding in the remaining ingredients and baking. I will be giving this a try. None the less, it was a very tasty morning snack for our family. My four year old asked if it could be his birthday cake. Little sweetie. He will quickly forget this bread the next time he sees a shiny red Lighting McQueen cake!

4 comments:

MECR said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I just made it, but with blueberries. Awesome.

April said...

In the last paragraph of the post you referred to four, but I didn't see flour in the ingredient list. Is it supposed to have flour (i'm secretly hoping not since it looks like a recipe I can easily make gluten-free for my daughter!)

If not using sourdough starter, is it necessary to add more liquid? I might try it subbing plain yogurt for the starter.

Looks good! Can't wait to try it!

Ethiopianmomma said...

I do not believe that you would need to add more liquid as the original recipe that I linked to did not use sourdough starter. This was a bit of an experiment for me, one that I will be making again tomorrow as we are having oatmeal again.

Ethiopianmomma said...

April~ yes to the flour. I used 1 cup, but the original recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 cups. I am sorry for the error! Dur!
I wonder if you could use oat flour for your daughter? I will try this tomorrow when I make it. I do not think this bread needs the gluten so perhaps oat flour would work? Rice flour maybe? Will let you know!